H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N ! ! !
You may have expected this post to be about creating a DIY Halloween Costume, cooking a delicious yet horrifying Halloween dish or showcasing thematic dessert decorations. Instead of going with a traditional Halloween post, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite Halloween traditions - Halloween Chili.
Honestly, this chili has nothing to do with Halloween other than the date that it is served. Ever since I was young, we had a tradition of serving chili on Halloween. My mother and father would make their traditional red chili recipe served over Ditalini noodles topped with all the fixings. When I was still in my trick-or-treating phase, I would get to invite my dearest friends over, and we would make our first rounds of the neighborhood to fill our treat bags. On the chilly Fall (and sometimes rainy) Halloween evenings, we would stop at home where my parents would have the chili ready to go to warm us up before commencing round two. As I grew up and reluctantly stopped trick-or-treating, I insisted that we still make chili each Halloween to enjoy while standing on the other side of the door and filing the treat bags of the new era of neighborhood children. As a result, I now always associate chili with Halloween.
As of recent, we have found it enjoyable to widen the variety of chili we have available and have a chili bar featuring both a White Chili and a Red Chili. The Red Chili started out as a standard recipe and has evolved each year as my father makes adjustments. This recipe has to stay in the family - not because its a secret, but because we really do not know how to recreate it. Each year it changes a bit but remains delicious!
Today, I will share with you the yummy, Creamy White Chicken Chili recipe. This crock-pot recipe refrains from using creamy canned soups and instead makes a homemade white sauce as a lower-calorie and more natural substitute (do not worry - it is easy). Good luck trying to make the toppings healthier! But hey - it's likely not the most unhealthy thing you are eating on Halloween!
CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- Yield: 6 -8 servings
- Time: 9 hours on high; 5 hours on low
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 15 ounce can white corn, drained
- 2 15.5 ounce cans white beans, drained (Cannellini or Great Northern)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bullion chicken base
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of a crockpot, and add chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chicken broth, green chiles, corn and beans. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About an hour before serving melt butter over medium high heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour, and allow to bubble and brown a bit. After a few minutes, gradually whisk in the milk and chicken base.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 4-5 minutes, whisking frequently until it is slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce into crockpot and mix to combine.
- Add sour cream and mix.
- If chicken has not already shredded with stirring, take out large pieces, shred them with two forks, and return to the crockpot.
- Let the chicken chili cook on low 1 more hour if you can.
- Serve warm and top with your favorite toppings. I recommend sour cream, avocado, cheese, cilantro and Fritos.
Recipe courtesy of Lovely Little Kitchen.