If you are looking for a way to elevate your Thanksgiving tablescape, consider using this quick and easy tutorial to fold your own Turkey Napkins! Simply gather cloth napkins, pinecones and either napkin rings or string to begin!
These Turkey Napkins look great using either patterned or solid colored napkins. I was excited to use our terra cotta floral napkins from Pottery Barn and handmade napkin ring holders gifted to us by my mother-in-law as a wedding shower gift as the base for this tutorial - the colors are perfect for Thanksgiving! With the holiday season upon us, pinecones are easy to find at your local craft or hardware store. I easily found pinecones at our local Michael's Craft Store in sets of approximately 10-12 for a few dollars.
Even better, this napkin holder can also serve as a place card holder. Simply insert your place card in between the pinecone layers to assist in welcoming your guests to their seats.
- Lay out the napkin on a flat surface.
- Flip the napkin over so that the back of the napkin is facing upwards.
- Fold the bottom of the napkin upward leaving approximately 1.5" of space at the top. If using a patterned napkin with a seam on the back, fold the bottom half upward to meet at the bottom of the seam so no backside is showing.
- Fold the bottom of the napkin upward once more resulting in three tiers.
- Flip the napkin over and begin to fold the napkin like an accordion with approximately 1" to 1.5" pleats.
- Pinch the bottom of the napkin and insert into the napkin ring holder or secure with string. Fan out the edges of the napkin.
- Lay the pinecone in front of the fan, and assemble on your place setting!
Idea inspired by the Smarty Had a Party blog.