While decorating our downtown apartment for Christmas this past weekend, I was looking for a simple, heartwarming lunch recipe to prep in the slow cooker in the morning. I was thrilled to come across this delicious Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, Creme de la Crumb! This recipe reminded me of one of my favorite Tomato Basil Soups served at the Nordstroms Department Store Cafe - a frequent stop during holiday shopping.
My husband and I do not like your traditional, plain tomato soup (i.e. Campbell's in a can). In reading through this recipe, I knew that the parmesan and basil in this soup along with my addition of our favorite spice in our cabinet, Penzeys Italian Dressing Base, would result in this soup being one of our favorite recipes.
This slow cooker recipe requires minimal prep-work, can be made in as little as 3 hours or up to 9 hours (if you want to prepare while at work) is great for freezing and is packed with flavor. One of the keys to this soup having a smooth, creamy texture is the addition of a roux. A roux is a thickening agent made from cooking flour and butter and is a simple process to make your homemade tomato soup taste like you are dining at a cafe.
This soup is absolutely delicious! I hope you enjoy as much as we did!
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Yield: 4-6 servings
For the Soup Base
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon italian dressing base, optional (I love Penzeys)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
For the Roux
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and next eight ingredients (through broth) to a slow cooker. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4-8 hours on low.
- About 30-40 minutes before serving, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, then return to slow cooker.
- To prepare the roux, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and stir until flour clumps up. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream (or half & half) until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Add roux and parmesan cheese to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Allow to cook another 20-30 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
- Top with additional basil and parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve with parmesan crisps, croutons, soup crackers or grilled cheese.
- Pair with a fresh arugula salad with balsamic or italian dressing.