In my opinion, there is no dessert more satisfying than a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie paired with a cold glass of milk. I will choose a chocolate chip cookie over cake, brownies or any other decadent dessert any day of the week. There are numerous variations on chocolate chip cookies, however, this Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from The Picky Palate has made its way to the top of my favorites list. These salty, sweet cookies feature amazing flavors including dark chocolate, sea salt, brown butter and vanilla pudding - a rich and savory combination. How can you not crave these cookies by merely looking at those dark chocolate chunks and coarse sea salt crystals?
My father's side of the family is filled with chocolate lovers. These cookies have now become a must make for any family gathering. Most recently at our Christmas celebration this past weekend, we served these cookies on a tiered dish. One of the two tiers was gone before dinner plates were even cleared. The newest member of our family, my brother's puppy, even found a way to see what the fuss was about by sneaking one off the platter when we had our backs turned.
I can promise that after making these cookies, you will always want to have dark chocolate chips, vanilla pudding and sea salt on hand to whip these up to satisfy any craving. Enough talking about them - let's get baking!
SALTED BROWN BUTTER DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour*
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel sea salt (or regular coarse sea salt)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- Place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl and heat until the butter turns to a deep golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place browned butter and little bits from the pan into your mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer along with the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat to combine, and then add the egg and vanilla beating to combine. Add flour (all-purpose and cake), pudding mix, baking soda, cornstarch, kosher salt and chocolate chips. Mix on low until just combined.
- With a medium cookie scoop, place dough onto prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Place additional chocolate chips on top to get that perfect chocolate chip cookie look. Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of fleur de sel sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes until baked through. Remove and let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Cool on racks for 10 minutes.
- Pour yourself a glass of milk, and enjoy!
*If you do not have cake flour on hand, you can substitute with all-purpose flour and still achieve a delicious outcome, however, I recommend giving the cake flour a try to achieve an even more satisfying and delicate texture.
Recipe courtesy of one of my favorite blogs, The Picky Palate.